Monday, September 24, 2007

Some things just shouldn't happen

I went to do a haircut today and I rang her door bell and walked in. She loves antiques and I love the way she decorates her house so I noticed all the cards all over her front entry table. She proceeded to tell me she had something to tell me and walked towards the kitchen. I could tell she was crying and she turned around and said our son Russell died on September 1st. I could not believe it. Parents are not supposed to out live their children. I didn't know their son,although I did meet him once. Very nice person. It was just so sad to see her cry at 70 years old and her husband to just look lost. I can't imagine the pain they are going through. It really didn't hit me until I was driving home and realized he was my older brothers age.
I stayed for a little while and visited. I think Claire brought them some smiles that were much needed around there. (even though she broke one of her tea cups- I was about to flip and she looked at me and told me after all that has happened a tea cup meant nothing and not to worry about it) Shirley has brought me much needed I love yous in my life and hugs when I see her that I hope I brought her some joy with Claire and I said some words of hope and peace at such a hard time in her life.

1 comment:

Spicy Steph said...

I'm so glad you and Claire could be there for them, if only for a brief moment in time. You are right, no parent should have to live through the loss of a child, at 30 or 70 years of age. It puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?